Small Planet Organics Tofu Pot Pie
1 cup each potatoes and carrots, cubed
1 Tbs organic sunflower or olive oil (Spectrum is a good brand)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup fresh or frozen organic peas (Cascadian Farms brand is good)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb Small Planet Organics tofu, any flavor (Original Firm, Garlic & Herb, Spicy, Curry, or Sun-Dried Tomato), cut into ½” cubes
3 Tbs each whole wheat flour and nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups vegetable cooking water or broth
1/2 tsp each thyme, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika
3 Tbs organic sunflower or olive oil
1 1/2 cups soy or rice milk
1 tsp each salt & sage
Top with your favorite crust recipe to fit a 2 quart casserole dish.
1. Cut the tofu (fresh or thawed) into ½” cubes.
2. Parboil the potatoes and carrots and save the water.
3. Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil and add the salt.
4. Adding the flour and the yeast to the onions and garlic, slowly stirring to make a rue (you may need to add a little more oil, but keep the rue thick, not too much oil)
5. Combine vegetables and tofu and simmer. Let mixture bubble at low heat.
6. Whisk in cooking water, milk and spices. Heat and stir until boiling and thickened.
7. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish and cover with crust.
8. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of “Tofu Phil” Spiegel. For more recipes, visit smallplanetorganics.com.