Fiesta Warm Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1/2 cup millet or quinoa
- 1 cup water
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- pinch organic sugar
- cayenne to taste
- 1 can drained black beans
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cooked corn
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add millet or quinoa and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and grain is soft.
- Combine next six ingredients for dressing. Set aside. Combine black beans, corn, onion and cooked millet or quinoa. Pour dressing over ingredients black beans and grains.
- Gently mix and garnish with cilantro.
Debra Daniels-Zeller is author of The Northwest Vegetarian Cookbook: 200 Recipes That Celebrate the Flavors of Oregon and Washington (Timber Press, 2010). She is a regular contributor to Vegetarian Journal magazine and writes a delightful food blog at http://foodconnections.blogspot.com. She can be reached at (425) 776-4689.
This recipe was featured in our October Sound Outlook in 2011