Donuts with Chocolate Mock Ganache
Makes 10 mini donuts
1 cup organic brown rice flour (Lundberg or other organic)
½ cup blanched almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill or other organic)
¼ cup tapioca starch, plus extra for dusting (Bob’s Red Mill or comparable)
1 tsp xanthan gum (Bob’s Red Mill or comparable)
1 tsp baking powder (En-er-G or other aluminum-free/gluten-free)
1 tsp baking soda (Bob’s Red Mill or other aluminum-free)
1 Tbs stevia powder (lactose-free)
2 tsp ground cinnamon (Frontier Organics or comparable)
2 tsp ground nutmeg (organic)
2 Tbs Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread, melted
4 Tbs light agave nectar (blue agave is preferable)
2 tsp vanilla extract (alcohol-free, sugar-free)
4 Tbs almond or rice milk (unsweetened)
1 egg (cage-free, organic)
1 cup cooking oil (organic canola, olive or grapeseed)
- Preheat cooking oil in saucepan on stove, medium low setting. Cover with splatter-proof screen.
- Combine dry ingredients and blend with fork or pastry cutter. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg until fluffy.
- Add all wet ingredients (except almond milk) to the egg one at a time. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and gently knead until combined. Knead almond milk into the dough, a little at a time.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon-sized ball of dough and roll it in your hand to form a ball. Sprinkle a little tapioca starch onto parchment paper and roll the dough in it until lightly covered.
- Using your finger, poke a ½ inch hole in the middle of the dough ball. Shape into a smooth, round donut shape. Continue with the rest of the dough. Add donuts carefully (about four at a time, depending on pot size) to the heated oil and fry 1-2 minutes, turning constantly, until golden but not brown.
- Remove donuts from oil and lay on a paper towel to soak up oil. When cooled, dip in ganache (ingredients above).
Recipe courtesy of Robin Michelle Crout