Cranberry Mousse Pie
submitted by Kris Shaw with permission of Beth Hillson, author of Gluten Free Makeovers.
Makes one 9 inch pie.
If you want a refreshing way to enjoy cranberries, this may be just the right level of sweetness. It’s as festive as it is delicious. Garnish with whipped cream and/or chocolate shavings.
|1/2 pound||fresh or frozen cranberries|
|1/2 cup||sugar, divided|
|1/4 cup||orange juice|
|1 1/2 tsp||dried orange peel|
|1 tsp||fresh grated ginger|
|2 Tbs||Triple Sec liqueur or
additional orange juice
|1/2 Tbs||unflavored gelatin,
softened in 1 Tbs orange juice
|1 cup||whipping cream or
|1||pie shell, prebaked or homemade
using a gluten-free recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, 1/4 cup sugar, ginger, orange juice, and peel. Bring to boil, stirring frequently
- Lower heat to medium low and cook, stirring constantly until the cranberries break down. This takes about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add Triple Sec liqueur and stir. Let mixture cool down. warm the gelatin-orange juice mixture until it liquefies (10-20 seconds).
- Add this to the cranberry mixture in a steady stream, stirring while adding.
- Scrape into a bowl and chill the mixture for 20 minutes.
- Beat cream and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until stiff. Fold into the cranberry mixture and spoon into 8-inch baked pie shell.
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving.