Parsley and Pine Nut Manicotti
by Christie Mae Qualey
This recipe is as impressive as it is tasty as it is nutritive… a rare combination indeed! Although the manicotti involves a few steps, the ingredients are minimal and can be adapted to simpler variations.
Blending parsley and other leafy green herbs into a rich sauce is a great way to increase your consumption of these mineral-rich gems. Any fresh herb can be used in place of, or alongside parsley, such as dill, cilantro, or mint.
A new Saint Patrick’s day tradition is sure to blossom with this delicious green inspired dish, which is also a great way to welcome spring!
|3 large||organic zucchini|
|2 large||organic carrots|
• Using a mandolin, a potato peeler, or a sharp knife, cut ¼ inch thick strips of zucchini and carrot.
• Set aside about 18-20 each of the nicest strips of each zucchini and carrot.
• The strips with the skin on or that are too small can be set aside and saved for the filling.
Parsley and Pine Nut Filling
|1 bunch||organic parsley (a few sprigs
reserved for garnish
|1/2 cup||raw organic pinenuts|
|1 Tbs||raw tahini|
|1 organic||zucchini + leftover from strips|
|1||organic lemon (juice of)|
|4 stalks||green onions|
|1 tsp||Italian seasoning|
Place all ingredients into high-speed blender and blend until creamy texture is reached. Set aside.
Sun-dried Tomato Carrot Sauce
|1 cup||sun-dried tomatoes soaked
in warm water for 1 hour
|2 large||organic carrots shredded
+ leftover from carrot strips
|1 large||organic tomato, diced|
|2 stalks||green onion|
|1||garlic clove (optional)|
Place all ingredients into food processor and pulse until semi smooth consistency is reached, with some chunky texture remaining. Set aside.
- Each manicotti will take 2 strips of carrot and 3 strips of zucchini.
- Roll one strip of zucchini long-wise into a 2-3 inch diameter cylinder and place on a plate with the end sides down.
- Repeat with two more zucchini, lining them up to make one manicotti.
- Stuff Parsley Pine Nut filling into both ends using a small spoon.
- Wrap the strips of carrot around the three adjoining zucchini rolls, carefully tucking carrot under roll. The manicotti is an illusion of one beautiful cylinder.
- Finish with a dollop of Sun-dried Tomato Carrot Sauce on top, a few sprigs of parsley, and serve on a bed of greens.
- Prepare for a delicious, messy manicotti meal!
Christie Qualey is a raw food and healthy lifestyle enthusiast. Christie operates Reciprocity Foods mobile food cart in the Tacoma area where she sells delicious fresh, raw, organic fare. Find her at the local farmers market Spring 2013.