by Nina Osberg (inspired by Jennifer K. Reilly)
|4||organic corn tortillas|
|2 Tbs||organic hummus (spicy if you like)|
|2 Tbs||organic low-fat refried beans, canned|
|2 tsp||organic fresh cilantro, chopped|
|4 tsp||organic salsa of your choice|
|2 Tbs||organic spinach, chopped|
|4 tsp||organic fresh green onion, chopped|
|a few||organic avocado slices, for garnish|
|1||Tofurky Italian Sausage cut in long thin slices
(or another flavor that you prefer) [optional]
|2 Tbs||Veggie Shreds or other vegan “cheese” (optional)|
- To make each pupusa, spread one tablespoon of hummus onto one tortilla and one tablespoon of beans on another.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon each of cilantro, salsa, spinach, and fresh green onion onto the tortilla with the hummus.
- Add slices of Tofurky (or not) and sprinkle a tablespoon of Veggie Shreds. Put the tortillas together and cook in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Flip and cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with next set of tortillas.
- Garnish with avocado slices, green onion, a bit of the salsa of your choice, and a few cilantro leaves on top.
- Jennifer says leftovers will last up to a day in the fridge and can be reheated in a skillet. However, I seriously doubt that there will be any leftovers after you try just one of these—they are so yummy!
Prep and cooking time is approximately 10 minutes! Enjoy! Your guests or family will love you for making these!
Nina Osberg is a member of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a graduate of the T. Colin Campbell Foundation, and holds a Master’s degree in teaching. She teaches cancer and diabetes prevention, weight loss, and many other topics related to diet and health. Meet Nina on Thursday, May 8 at 6:30 in Federal Way when she offers a free talk on the benefits of a plant-based diet. Details here!